Turangi-Tongariro at the centre of the North Island's volcanic plateau region is a summer & winter 'edge of wilderness' wonderland for the whole family.
Halfway between Auckland & Wellington, Turangi-Tongariro is a little gem at the southern end of Lake Taupo.
It's the gateway to the double world heritage Tongariro National Park and with many accommodation options available it's a great place to stay on your hiking, skiing, cycling or angling holiday.
Turangi Tongariro is the ideal base camp for:
- walking the famous Tongariro Alpine Crossing - one of the world's best one day walks
- fly fishing in the mighty Tongariro River
- starting out on trips, wilderness fishing, hunting, white water rafting
- skiing, snowboarding
- mountain biking, hiking
- playing golf, nature walks
- visiting the Tongariro National Trout Centre with its unique aquarium of native species and scheduled days when children can experience fly fishing
- winding down at the local thermal pools